Wednesday, November 7, 2012

My Favorite Cookbooks, Part 11, Notes From a Kitchen Volumes 1 & 2

SAM_0127.JPG
 
This book is simply inspiring.  I've been taking serious notes from culinary school to the present, and I didn't realize how common this practice was amongst my peers... especially when it came to picking up any scrap of paper, spent POS system tickets, or even a paper towel to muse upon, only to put into a more permanent notebook if the thought or recipe made the grade.  I've had more notebooks stolen, credit to the hand drawn pictures and detailed notes than I'd ever like to admit.  This series strikes a solid chord with me.
 

SAM_0128.JPG
 
Inside you'll find mostly pictures, some musings, and a bunch of fine dining chefs explaining their thought processes.  If you thought Marco Pierre White's, White Heat, could invoke a need to live the life of a chef, it pales in the sheer & utter majesty of Notes.  I just want to create after paging though these.  I've decided to start including some of my personal notes, scribblings and old recipes to this blog in an attempt to preserve & share them.  Toques off to the authors, Jeff Scott & Blake Beshore, as well as the chef contributors, Sean Brock, Johnny Iuzzini, Michael Laiskonis, George Mendes, Emma Hearst, Joel Harrington, Matt Gaudet, Zak Palaccio, Jason Neroni, & Neal Fraser.  I'd like to thank you all for the creative fires you've helped stoke.  As they say in/on the book, "I am going to be dangerous."
 
SAM_0129.JPG

No comments:

Post a Comment