Thursday, October 25, 2012

My Favorite Cookbooks, Part 10, Terrines, Pates & Galantines



Shout out to: Omnivore Books on Food • 3885a Cesar Chavez Street • San Francisco, CA 94131
415.282.4712 • Hours: Mon-Sat 11am-6pm, Sun 12pm-5pm

It took me a long time to find this book in good condition.  I finally found it at Omnivore Books in San Francisco while on vacation.  The awesome owner, Ms. Celia Sack, had just gotten the copy in the day before our visit.  It was as if the tome itself knew who it's owner was going to be and was excited for the chance to become part of my collection.  Part of Time Life Books, The Good Cook Series, Terrines, Pates & Galantines, is the best text on it's subject that I've ever seen (in English).  I remember using it at Kendall College, photocopied notes sitting meat stained at our work stations while we hacked our way through the classics.

The best thing about Terrines... is the color, step-by-step recipes covering meat, vegetable & fish terrines, pates, and galantines & aspics.  It reminds me of Jacque Pepin's, Le Technique, in it's simplification of a detailed task without losing any specifics that would detract from the end product.  A perfectionist's book.  A labor of love.  I think for the next dinner I throw that I'll have to do some terrine-work.  The molds are getting dusty in my trunk.

Um, yes, I do have terrine molds in my car trunk, right next to the crepe pans.  Don't you?  No, I don't have a problem, and even if there was a 12 step program for it, do you think I have time with my Chef's schedule?  Who are you kidding?  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment