Monday, January 16, 2012

Current Culinary Preoccupations...

I haven't had the chance to blog as often as I'd like... and most of that has to deal with work.  It's been busier than anyone expected post New Year's.  Which is good.  I take it as a sure sign the economy isn't doing as bad as we'd like to believe.  It's been a good year.  I hope that 2012 continues in that vein.

Lately, I've had the opportunity to do a lot more dried salumi work.  Quartino is one of the few restaurants to actually have a FDA approved room for sausage work.  And a chef who knows his stuff.  I've dealt with mostly the other end of charcuterie work the last fifteen years and it's a refreshing change of pace as far as (re)learning older techniques.

I've also been making all the ricotta in house.  We estimate 50 gallons of milk a week.  During the slow season.  20% yield is considered awesome.  But the end product is phenomenal.  You really have to come in and eat. 

I'm going to make a resolution to post more frequently now that things have settled down a bit, but if my posting is sporatic, please continue to stop on in.  There's plenty more to talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment